NFL roster update: Former CSU players making an impact at next level
The 2018 NFL season begins this week and a variety of former Colorado State football players will be on rosters around the league this season. Here is an update of the former CSU players currently on NFL rosters.
1. Shaquil Barrett: Barrett is still in the local spotlight, as he has put together a really nice professional career with the Denver Broncos. Barrett originally worked his way onto the practice squad in 2014 and has since become a regular contributor on defense and through special teams. In three seasons on the active roster, Barrett has 89 total tackles and 11 sacks.
2. Kapri Bibbs: Bibbs seemed like a lock to make the 53-man roster on the Washington Redskins after really standing out at the end of the 2017 regular season and in the 2018 preseason, but the former CSU back will spend this season on the practice squad. Despite not making the active roster for Week 1, It would not be surprising to see Bibbs active on a Sunday this season.
3. Nick Callender: The former Colorado State offensive tackle has transitioned to guard and spent time with the Seattle Seahawks last spring before signing with the Colts in August. Callender was waived by the Colts on Aug. 31.
4. Dalyn Dawkins: Dawkins had a productive preseason with the Tennessee Titans and had a legitimate chance to make the 53-man roster after joining the club as an undrafted free agent. In Tennessee's final preseason game against Minnesota, Dawkins carried the ball 17 times for 53 yards. Dawkins did not end up making the 53-man roster, but has since signed to the team's practice squad.
5. Michael Gallup: After being drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the third round, it did not take Gallup long to make his presence known. The former CSU superstar had a successful preseason with seven catches for 77 yards and one touchdown. He was targeted 16 times in Dallas' four preseason games, but his biggest performance was the team's first exhibition when scored a 30-yard receiving touchdown.
6. Zack Golditch: Golditch did not hear his name called in the 2018 NFL Draft, but he did spend time with the Los Angeles Chargers during training camp and has since signed to the San Francisco 49ers practice squad.
7. Rashard Higgins: Fans had an opportunity to see Rashard "Hollywood" Higgins on HBO's Hard Knocks during training camp/preseason. It was fun to see the former Ram on the field up and close. According to the Browns' beat writers, Higgins had a really productive training camp and it paid off, as he made the 53-man roster.
8. Garrett Grayson: Grayson was originally drafted by the New Orleans Saints in 2015 and has bounced around a little bit then. The former CSU quarterback spent all of training camp and the preseason with the Atlanta Falcons but was cut by the team on Sept. 1. Grayson struggled in the preseason, completing less than 40 percent of his pass attempts, but may still end up in an NFL facility this season.
9. Weston Richburg: Richburg spent the first four seasons of his professional career with the New York Giants before signing with the San Francisco 49ers during the offseason. After missing 12 games last season with a concussion in 2017, Richburg will try to rejuvenate his career with recently hired head coach Kyle Shanahan and quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.
10. Ty Sambrailo: Sambrailo may never live up to the expectations that come with being drafted in the second round, but the after being traded from the Broncos to the Falcons, he has established himself as the team's No. 2 tackle.
10. Trent Sieg: Sieg was with the Baltimore Ravens during the preseason, but the former CSU long snapper was recently waived by the team.
PHOTO: Abbie Parr